>

Connecting The Community

Save The Habitat, Adopt Sustainable Living

Meet The Designer - Shalini Saluja Of Indie Cotton Route

Hello Friends,

I am Shalini Saluja from Indie Cotton Route and I am sharing the story of my journey into the world of fashion design.


I completed my Electronics Engg. and worked as an applications Engg. in IIGM to train export houses on the CAD & CAM systems in 1993-94 . Here , I was sponsored to a course in Fashion Design from Pearl Academy of Fashion to help me understand the clientele better.

Soon after I had to quit my job because I had a small daughter to take care of. Hence, I started a small clothing business from my house. It was then that I traveled to different parts of India to work closely with the weavers and craftsmen. I could see the value in our homemade textiles and techniques which did not have a wider reach due to lack of contemporary  and stylish designs.

The market was flooded with uncomfortable synthetic flashy clothes which the growing conscious independent urban population could not relate to.

So 4 years back I started my company Indie Cotton Route which worked closely with the Artisans to create designs which had an international appeal , provided a customised experience of the Indian textiles and fabrics which were eco friendly and sustained the ecosystem. 








Many of my existing clients who believed in my work for the past 15 to 20 years also saw an opportunity and approached me to to set up studios in their house through which they could earn an identity and money at the same time contribute to the craftsmen and the ecosystem.

Do visit my website ‘Indie Cotton Route’ to view the whole range of our cotton products specially handcrafted with love and care.


You may also drop in at my studio by fixing an appointment with me through ‘Indie Cotton Route’.



Share:

CREATIVE CAREERS IN ART ARCITECTURE AND DESIGN

Featured Post

DO NOT FEED THE PIGEONS

The Misery Of The  Pigeon Triangle Residents of CR Park, have very seriously taken up the cudgels to re – instate a green cover in plac...

Articles & Stories

Search This Blog

Enquiry Form

Name

Email *

Message *